Hedgerow harvest

Hedgerow harvest

Tuesday 4 December 2018

Celebrating the life of Maggie Shaw.

 On Sunday afternoon we celebrated the life and times of Maggie Shaw, Stroud artist, tutor, friend and all round wonderful person. This is one of her early embroidery pieces but she is really well known for her abstract paintings. There is more information about her on the Glos Guild of Craftsmen website- look under News. I knew her in the mid seventies because I taught her children then we became friends and she inspired me to take up embroidery and do a City and Guilds course. Everything she did, said,wore and had in her house was inspiring. There were many, many tributes to her spoken from the heart and she was truly loved by all she came in contact with. 
Tiny ted came too! Maggie made these tiny teddies and little children dolls with their own teeny teddies, one Christmas in the late seventies. She sought out the finest knitting needles and then got Peter, her husband to file them and make them even thinner. I have put a pound coin there to show the scale. He had to have a little darn then I could wear him to the celebration. Peter is going to organise a retrospective of Maggie's work in Stroud next year.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I've inherited 2 of Maggie's early works (textile art) and was wondering if you or anyone you knew of could tell me more about them? Would love to know more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi how lovely for you! Were they at the exhibition recently and does Peter Shaw know about them? My e-mail is watsonstar@btinternet.com - I will help all I can.

      Delete