Hedgerow harvest

Hedgerow harvest

Monday 5 November 2018

Hedgerow harvest - a beginning.

 Here are the blackberries, I just had to add some tiny black beads for a shine.
 Sketch book drawings- I began with the sloes.
 On Friday I had a whole day to myself in the studio - bliss! So I decided to begin a new piece. My first idea was to make a long concertina sketchbook in fabric. I started with a strip of calico and bonded (bondaweb) pieces of paper and fabrics to it for various textures.
 Silk, scrim, paper. I put some white free machine embroidery over the pieces to anchor them.(not shown)
 Now from here I began with an autumn leaf which I didn't like so covered over with more layers of fabric!
 But  I did like the sloes. So I decided to make it Autumn Hedgerow fruits or harvest. Collected more fruits, made the drawings above and yesterday put in the hawthorn berries. It will be a framed piece I think rather than a fold up book, so this way up.

 The hedgerows I collected from in the Enormous field. All part of my project to study a few fields near my house in detail. When we first moved here, 40 years ago there were more hedgerows. A lot were grubbed out to make the Enormous field. All the wildlife live in these edges and hedges. The more species the better and a clue to how old the hedgerow is. ( my shadow there taking the picture!)
Lovely sunny Autumn day.

4 comments:

  1. Love watching your process ... and the wild blackberries are just right with their shiny, beaded dimensionality. Here in Texas they are called dewberries and ripen in May well before the scorching summer heat rolls in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely name dewberries! Our name blackberries- very ordinary! They are a sign of harvest though and a feast for birds and humans. I imagine what they meant to people before we had supermarkets and every fruit we ever want all times of the year.

      Delete