Hedgerow harvest

Hedgerow harvest

Wednesday 11 November 2020

Oak tree embroideries.

I thought I would talk to you about my latest work. In the summer Radio 4 had readings from The Oak Papers by James Canton. I loved them and sent for the book which I adored. It is about the solace that being close to Nature- in this case an ancient oak tree - can bring to mind and body. I knew what he meant and understood it. It is also full of the facts, history and myths around the oak tree and how important it has been in this country.
I sought out a few of our local oaks and have been observing, drawing and spending time with them. One especially, an oak tree in -The Enormous Field - an earlier set of embroideries which you could find here following the labels at the bottom. So I have made a start on this new set of work about oak trees. I have been posting them on Instagram as I work them so you can watch them develop.
The idea is that they will be shown at Fresh Air Sculpture at Quennington, Near Cirencester next June when hopefully the pandemic will be behind us and life will have returned to a new normal. Meanwhile I just keep on stitching and that sustains me. Keep safe everyone and take the image of the acorn with you. As James Canton says it is a great symbol of Hope.
 

7 comments:

  1. Love that and the book sounds fascinating. I love your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Beth that is very encouraging.x

      Delete
  2. wonderful synchronicity as I am currently getting to know the oaks in our new(ish) neighborhood ...

    love the texture in the stitched acorn cap ... and the tiny little acorn is a gem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz, glad you are getting to know your local oaks. Such long lived trees give us perspective.

      Delete
  3. Oaks are such venerable guardians and your beautiful stitching and drawings Louise, show their wonderful majesty...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marti, once you start to look you gain a sense of awe I find.

      Delete
  4. I sometimes think coming in close and focussing unjust one thing - oaks - helps settle your minded take away a bit of the buzzing uncertainty that lies all around. That first photo of your journal and embroidery hoop is an exhibit of its own - would be great under glass in a viewing cabinet and very intriguing to a viewer! Enjoy your oak time.

    ReplyDelete