Hedgerow harvest

Hedgerow harvest

Friday 8 February 2019

Field- Winter Book

 I am working on my next concertina book to accompany the exhibition- 'From where I'm standing' at Quenington in June. It will be in the Pool Room and part of the outdoor sculpture trail. Which is always fantastic and in a beautiful garden beside a stream. There is an entry fee but worth it for the stroll around the garden alone.
 So I began with a cool wintry blue and am building up the images and textures.
 A mixture of painting, drawing and stitching into the thick base paper. Sparrow on the twigs in the hedge. Field and crop lines.
 This leaf is the crop growing in the field at the moment- oil seed rape we think, must check. Looks like a cabbage leaf and the texture is like crumpled tissue paper. Looking closely at the veins, they are like field patterns.
Yesterday I did some printing to vary the mark making. I used the leaf and a piece of scrim ( loosely woven muslin ) I thought it would look like the ragged winter hedges. It is thoroughly absorbing and great to play around with ideas and techniques.

3 comments: