Hedgerow harvest

Hedgerow harvest

Monday 16 April 2018

Transformations : cycle of the seasons.

 I began work on this piece last week- my final piece for transformations. It will go on the stairwell at the exhibition, where we all have a 40cm frame to fill, a piece of work from each artist to welcome visitors up the stairs. It is a patchwork of each season. I made the print of a skeletal autumn leaf first in gold then drew in the winter trees and machine embroidered those filling in with running stitches to quilt the whole thing and blend it together..
 The winter trees are growing some first spring leaves on the right.
 Summer and spring flowers are now sprouting around the bottom of the piece to complete the cycle. You can't work one patch to completion, you have to dot around a little to see the whole thing emerging and find a harmony.
This photo is about finding the correct thread to match the colour of a primrose. It is quite a greeny yellow. Easier to mix the colour in a paint box, harder to find the right shade thread. I have drawers of threads sorted into colours and then rummage around finding the one I want. Which might explain why they are a complete tangle!

4 comments:

  1. not many days to go, love your integrity of colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes this is going to sprout flowers rapidly!

      Delete
  2. Fascinating to see this developing. I know what you mean about dotting around and not working one piece to completion. It's how I approach my hand stitched pieces. I suspect with me that there is also a smidgeon of boredom that creeps in if I don't get a variety of focus!
    I will look forward to seeing it in the exhibition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks only a week to go now to setting up day. This piece is quite tricky getting all the seasons in on one piece, with all the different colour schemes may have been too much to ask but I will just keep going!

      Delete