Hedgerow harvest

Hedgerow harvest

Friday 4 September 2020

Summer cloth - slow stitching and hand embroidery.

I have been working on this summer cloth for the last 6 weeks. very enjoyable too ! The circles came from my large circular meditation cloth - same motif around the border. I used colours from the garden and wild flowers. The birds, butterflies etc outlines came from the drawings on tracing paper I make to transfer drawing to cloth. I end up with pages and pages of these outlines and they are beautiful in thier own right. I just put the ideas togther to contrast.
The idea is to conjure up all the things I like about summer. An evocation of the season. A rejoicing too. As it takes so long to stitch it like recording time within the work. Looking at some pieces I can remember the music or story I was listening to as I stitched. Thats why embroiderers were sometimes accused of magic and witchcraft. They trapped things into the stitches. Lets hope I have caught summer here and can loook at it in the long dark cold days of winter. It will be shown at Quenington next June.


 

6 comments:

  1. I have also experienced a memory of what I was listening to when I work so I loved the story about witches capturing things and putting them into their work. I really love this piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beth, trying to finish a few summery pieces.

      Delete
  2. love all the details and your white daisies are magic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely and remarkable capturing of the joy and warmth of summer! An evocation and rejoicing is right! It sings f summer...and I love how it holds memories so well. A fabulous project!

    ReplyDelete