Hedgerow harvest

Hedgerow harvest

Saturday 4 August 2018

Summer garden colours in stitch.

 Too hot and dry in the garden but some flowers like it. The colours are bright and beautiful.




 I wanted to have a piece I could pick up add some stitches to and put down. So I gathered together some fabric scraps and loosely based on these abstract collages I made ( Sue Dove online workshop)
 assembled, played, pinned and stitched down. Then it gets addictive like a jig-saw puzzle.
Then it takes over so you can't think of anything but swirling bright colours and which bit to stitch next in which colour? Such is embroidery for me. The backing is a bit of blanket so it is quilting nicely. I have put a little free machine embroidery in patches of colour to help blend, catch down and contrast textures. I don't know how big it will get, just seeing where it takes me. I can keep adding as I go and layering over if I change my mind about colours. Stitching is just running stitch- like kantha stitching.

4 comments:

  1. love all the different textures you are making with varying the density of the kantha stitching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Mo it is just a see what happens bit, fun and joyful!

      Delete
  2. What an excellent free-running piece to have ‘on the go’. I have a friend who always stitches in this free abstract way and I always envy her. Stitching so intuitively is very liberating. I know I should do it more often - but somehow I don’t!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes just a - on the go -let it flow bit!

    ReplyDelete